AGOA Status: Botswana is eligible for AGOA this year. It also qualifies for textile and apparel benefits.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and the Southern Africa Customs Union (SACU), which includes Botswana, signed a Trade, Investment, and Development Cooperative Agreement (TIDCA) in 2008. The TIDCA establishes a forum for consultative discussions, cooperative work, and possible agreements on a wide range of trade issues, with a special focus on customs and trade facilitation, technical barriers to trade, sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures, and trade and investment promotion.
U.S.-Botswana Trade Facts
In 2019, Botswana GDP was an estimated $18.7 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 3.0%; and the population was 2 million. (Source: IMF)
Botswana is currently our 126th largest goods trading partner with $380 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $104 million; goods imports totaled $275 million. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Botswana was $171 million in 2019.
- Botswana was the United States' 149th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Botswana in 2019 were $104 million, up 27.6% ($23 million) from 2018 and up 12.1% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($68 million), special other (returns) ($15 million), aircraft ($9 million), arms and ammunition ($4 million), and machinery ($4 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Botswana totaled $379 thousand in 2019.
- Botswana was the United States' 106th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Botswana totaled $275 million in 2019, down 40.2% ($185 million) from 2018, but up 109% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($273 million), special other (returns) ($2 million), machinery ($205 thousand), special other (low value estimates) ($139 thousand), and vehicles ($98 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Botswana totaled $31 thousand in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade deficit with Botswana was $171 million in 2019, a 54.9% decrease ($208 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Botswana are unavailable.
- No data on Botswana's FDI in the U.S. are available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Botswana are available.