You are here
AGOA Status: Djibouti is eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), which includes Djibouti, signed a Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) in 2001.
U.S. - Djibouti Trade Facts
Djibouti is currently our 154th largest goods trading partner with $161 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $113 million; goods imports totaled $48 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Djibouti was $65 million in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Djibouti supported an estimated 8 hundred jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Djibouti was the United States' 150th largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Djibouti in 2018 were $113 million, down 28.3% ($45 million) from 2017 and down 19.9% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: aircraft ($22 million), electrical machinery ($18 million), animal or vegetable fats and oils (other fixed vegetable) ($12 million), machinery ($10 million), and cereals (corn) ($7 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Djibouti totaled $32 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($12 million), coarse grains (ex. corn) ($7 million), pulses ($5 million), poultry meat & prods. (ex. eggs) ($186 thousand), and condiments & sauces ($133 thousand).
- Djibouti was the United States' 148th largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Djibouti totaled $48 million in 2018, up 39.7% ($14 million) from 2017, and up 578.6% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: special other (returns) ($45 million), coffee, tea & spice (coffee) ($761 thousand), special other (low value estimates) ($588 thousand), arms and ammunition ($366 thousand), and electrical machinery ($182 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Djibouti totaled $934 thousand in 2018.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Djibouti was $65 million in 2018, a 47.2% decrease ($58 million) over 2017.
Data on U.S. FDI in Djibouti are unavailable. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Djibouti.
No data on Djibouti's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Djibouti FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Djibouti are available.