AGOA Status: Madagascar is eligible for AGOA this year.
U.S.-Madagascar Trade Facts
In 2019, Madagascar GDP was an estimated $12.6 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 4.8%; and the population was 27 million. (Source: IMF)
Madagascar is currently our 101st largest goods trading partner with $913 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $67 million; goods imports totaled $846 million. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Madagascar was $779 million in 2019.
- Madagascar was the United States' 167th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Madagascar in 2019 were $67 million, down 42.8% ($50 million) from 2018 and down 36.9% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: machinery ($21 million), mineral fuels ($19 million), coffee, tea & spice (vanilla beans) ($3 million), aircraft ($3 million), and optical and medical instruments ($3 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Madagascar totaled $8 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: coarse grains (ex. corn) ($2 million), vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($1 million), dairy products ($902 thousand), pulses ($400 thousand), and prepared food ($357 thousand).
- Madagascar was the United States' 83rd largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Madagascar totaled $846 million in 2019, down 5.1% ($45 million) from 2018, but up 233.9% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: coffee, tea & spice (vanilla beans) ($419 million), woven apparel ($155 million), knit apparel ($90 million), other base metals (cobalt) ($57 million), and ores, slag, and ash (titanium) ($52 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Madagascar totaled $430 million in 2019. Leading categories include: spices ($419 million), essential oils ($4 million), cocoa beans ($3 million), snack foods ($447 thousand), and cocoa paste & cocoa butter ($277 thousand).
- The U.S. goods trade deficit with Madagascar was $779 million in 2019, a 0.6% increase ($5 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Madagascar are unavailable.
- No data on Madagascar's FDI in the U.S. are available
NOTE: No services trade data with Madagascar are available.