AGOA Status: Cape Verde is eligible for AGOA this year. It also qualifies for textile and apparel benefits.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and Cape Verde have no trade agreements
U.S.-Cape Verde Trade Facts
In 2019, Cape Verde GDP was an estimated $2.0 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 5.5%; and the population was 559 thousand. (Source: IMF)
Cape Verde is currently our 208th largest goods trading partner with $12 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $8 million; goods imports totaled $4 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Cape Verde was $4 million in 2019.
- Cape Verde was the United States' 203rd largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Cape Verde in 2019 were $8 million, down 9.4% ($804 thousand) from 2018 but up 21.4% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: art and antiques ($2 million), vehicles ($1 million), special other (low value estimates) ($1 million), electrical machinery ($640 thousand), and optical and medical instruments ($413 thousand).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Cape Verde totaled $118 thousand in 2019.
- Cape Verde was the United States' 194th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Cape Verde totaled $4 million in 2019, up 7.2% ($256 thousand) from 2018, and up 375.5% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: prepared meat and fish (fish, caviar) ($2 million), machinery ($470 thousand), beverages (ethyl alcohol) ($316 thousand), toys and sports equipment ($314 thousand), and furniture and bedding ($265 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Cape Verde totaled $251 thousand in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Cape Verde was $4 million in 2019, a 21.3% decrease ($1 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Cape Verde are unavailable.
- No data on Cape Verde's FDI in the U.S. are available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Cape Verde are available.