AGOA Status: Sierra Leone is eligible for AGOA this year. It also qualifies for textile and apparel benefits.
U.S.-Sierra Leone Trade Facts
In 2019, Sierra Leone GDP was an estimated $4.2 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 5.1%; and the population was 8 million. (Source: IMF)
Sierra Leone is currently our 165th largest goods trading partner with $108 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $78 million; goods imports totaled $30 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Sierra Leone was $48 million in 2019.
- Sierra Leone was the United States' 160th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Sierra Leone in 2019 were $78 million, up 9.6% ($7 million) from 2018 and up 83.9% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: vehicles ($18 million), miscellaneous food (sauce condiments) ($15 million), machinery ($7 million), meat (poultry) ($5 million), and cereals (rice) ($5 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Sierra Leone totaled $26 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: condiments & sauces ($14 million), poultry meat & products (ex. eggs) ($5 million), rice ($5 million), prepared food ($672 thousand), and vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($358 thousand).
- Sierra Leone was the United States' 150th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Sierra Leone totaled $30 million in 2019, down 46.5% ($26 million) from 2018, but up 24.3% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($11 million), machinery ($9 million), special other (returns) ($3 million), optical and medical instruments ($1 million), and electrical machinery ($1 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Sierra Leone totaled $1 million in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Sierra Leone was $48 million in 2019, a 222.8% increase ($33 million) over 2018.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Sierra Leone (stock) was $12 million in 2019, unchanged from 2018. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Sierra Leone.
- No data on Sierra Leone's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Sierra Leone FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Sierra Leone are available.