AGOA Status: Sierra Leone is eligible for AGOA this year. It also qualifies for textile and apparel benefits.
U.S.-Sierra Leone Trade Facts
Sierra Leone is currently our 162nd largest goods trading partner with $128 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $71 million; goods imports totaled $57 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Sierra Leone was $15 million in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Sierra Leone supported an estimated 4 hundred jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Sierra Leone was the United States' 161st largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Sierra Leone in 2018 were $71 million, down 9.8% ($8 million) from 2017 but up 20.3% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: vehicles ($18 million), miscellaneous food ($17 million), meat ($8 million), machinery ($5 million), and special other ($3 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Sierra Leone totaled $27 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: condiments & sauces ($16 million), poultry meat & prods. (ex. eggs) ($8 million), rice ($1 million), prepared food ($457 thousand), and vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($289 thousand).
- Sierra Leone was the United States' 141st largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Sierra Leone totaled $57 million in 2018, up 87.6% ($26 million) from 2017, and up 18.5% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: machinery ($25 million), ores, slag, and ash ($15 million), precious metal and stone ($5 million), electrical machinery ($5 million), and optical and medical instruments ($1 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Sierra Leone totaled $1 million in 2018.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Sierra Leone was $15 million in 2018, a 69.6% decrease ($34 million) over 2017.
U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Sierra Leone (stock) was $13 million in 2018, unchanged from 2017. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Sierra Leone.
No data on Sierra Leone's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Sierra Leone FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Sierra Leone are available.