AGOA Status: Eritrea is not eligible for AGOA this year.
U.S.-Eritrea Trade Facts
In 2019, Eritrea GDP was an estimated $2.1 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 3.8%; and the population was 6 million. (Source: IMF)
Eritrea is currently our 204th largest goods trading partner with $14 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $14 million; goods imports totaled $143 thousand. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Eritrea was $14 million in 2019.
- Eritrea was the United States' 198th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Eritrea in 2019 were $14 million, up 74.9% ($6 million) from 2018 and up 112.6% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: cereals (grain, sorghum) ($11 million), machinery ($2 million), special other (returns) ($529 thousand), miscellaneous chemical products ($429 thousand), and rubber ($358 thousand).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Eritrea totaled $11 million in 2019. The leading domestic export category is: coarse grains (ex. corn) ($11 million).
- Eritrea was the United States' 228th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Eritrea totaled $143 thousand in 2019, down 47.9% ($132 thousand) from 2018, and down 72.7% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: beverages (beer) ($85 thousand), special other (returns) ($15 thousand), electrical machinery ($14 thousand), soap, wax, dental prep ($10 thousand), and special other (low value estimates) ($10 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Eritrea totaled $31 thousand in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Eritrea was $14 million in 2019, a 79.1% increase ($6 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Eritrea are unavailable.
- No data on Eritrea's FDI in the U.S. are available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Eritrea are available.