AGOA Status: Somalia is not eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and Somalia do not have any trade agreements.
U.S.-Somalia Trade Facts
In 2019, Somalia GDP was an estimated $5.0 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 2.9%; and the population was 0 thousand. (Source: IMF)
Somalia is currently our 168th largest goods trading partner with $106 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $105 million; goods imports totaled $992 thousand.The U.S. goods trade surplus with Somalia was $104 million in 2019.
- Somalia was the United States' 147th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Somalia in 2019 were $105 million, up 112.8% ($56 million) from 2018 and up 2,467.0% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: cereals (grain sorghum) ($21 million), miscellaneous food (other food preparations) ($20 million), vehicles ($18 million), animal or vegetable fats and oils (other fixed vegetables, fats and oils) ($12 million), and electrical machinery ($12 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Somalia totaled $61 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: coarse grains (ex. corn) ($21 million), vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($12 million), prepared food ($12 million), pulses ($3 million), and rice ($131 thousand).
- Somalia was the United States' 214th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Somalia totaled $992 thousand in 2019, down 24.2% ($316 thousand) from 2018, but up 292.5% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: vegetable saps and extracts (natural gums, resins, balsams) ($373 thousand), perfumery, cosmetics ($368 thousand), leather products ($143 thousand), electrical machinery ($63 thousand), and special other (low value estimates) ($12 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Somalia totaled $748 thousand in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Somalia was $104 million in 2019, a 116.9% increase ($56 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Somalia are unavailable. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Somalia.
- No data on Somalia's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Somalia FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Somalia are available.