AGOA Status: Somalia is not eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and Somalia do not have any trade agreements.
U.S.-Somalia Trade Facts
Somalia is currently our 183rd largest goods trading partner with $51 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $50 million; goods imports totaled $1 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Somalia was $49 million in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Somalia supported an estimated 3 hundred jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Somalia was the United States' 171st largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Somalia in 2018 were $50 million, down 29.0% ($20 million) from 2017 and down 22.1% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: cereals ($12 million), miscellaneous food ($11 million), baking related products ($8 million), electrical machinery ($4 million), and vegetables ($3 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Somalia totaled $38 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: coarse grains (ex. corn) ($12 million), prepared food ($10 million), pulses ($3 million), vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($3 million), and dairy products ($606 thousand).
- Somalia was the United States' 209th largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Somalia totaled $1 million in 2018, up 18.4% ($182 thousand) from 2017, and up 467.5% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: perfumery, cosmetics ($647 thousand), electrical machinery ($206 thousand), vegetable saps and extracts ($198 thousand), machinery ($28 thousand), and special other ($26 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Somalia totaled $849 thousand in 2018.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Somalia was $49 million in 2018, a 29.7% decrease ($21 million) over 2017.
Data on U.S. FDI in Somalia are unavailable. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Somalia.
No data on Somalia's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Somalia FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Somalia are available.