You are here
Trade Agreements: The U.S. signed Trade and Investment Framework Agreements (TIFA) with the East African Community (EAC) in 2008, and with the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) in 2001. Uganda is a member of both EAC and COMESA regional organizations. USTR’s Africa Office is also leading U.S. efforts to forge a new trade and investment partnership with the East African Community.
U.S. - Uganda Trade Facts
Uganda is currently our 156th largest goods trading partner with $156 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $87 million; goods imports totaled $69 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Uganda was $18 million in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Uganda supported an estimated 4 hundred jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Uganda was the United States' 155th largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Uganda in 2018 were $87 million, down 19.0% ($21 million) from 2017 and down 1.3% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: aircraft ($21 million), machinery ($13 million), electrical machinery ($9 million), miscellaneous chemical products ($8 million), and plastics ($7 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Uganda totaled $2 million in 2018.
- Uganda was the United States' 134th largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Uganda totaled $69 million in 2018, down 13.0% ($10 million) from 2017, but up 30.8% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: coffee, tea & spice ($47 million), special other ($8 million), glue & enzymes ($3 million), fish and seafood ($2 million), and live trees and plants ($2 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Uganda totaled $53 million in 2018. Leading categories include: coffee, unroasted ($37 million), spices ($10 million), other dairy products ($3 million), nursery products ($2 million), and other vegetable oils ($303 thousand).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Uganda was $18 million in 2018, a 35.8% decrease ($10 million) over 2017.
U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Uganda (stock) was $42 million in 2017, a 35.4% decrease from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Uganda.
No data on Uganda's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Uganda FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Uganda are available.