AGOA Status: Ethiopia is not eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), which includes Ethiopia, signed a Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) in 2001.
U.S.-Ethiopia Trade Facts
In 2019, Ethiopia GDP was an estimated $91.2 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 9.0%; and the population was 96 million. (Source: IMF)
Ethiopia is currently our 84th largest goods trading partner with $1.6 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $1.0 billion; goods imports totaled $572 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Ethiopia was $442 million in 2019.
- Ethiopia was the United States' 77th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Ethiopia in 2019 were $1.0 billion, down 22.5% ($295 million) from 2018 but up 279.8% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: aircraft ($736 million), cereals (wheat) ($63 million), machinery ($38 million), electrical machinery ($38 million), and special other (returns) ($26 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Ethiopia totaled $109 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: wheat ($62 million), pulses ($10 million), vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($7 million), prepared food ($2 million), and coarse grains (ex. corn) ($1 million).
- Ethiopia was the United States' 88th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Ethiopia totaled $572 million in 2019, up 28.6% ($127 million) from 2018, and up 406.5% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: coffee, tea & spice (coffee) ($131 million), woven apparel ($112 million), knit apparel ($98 million), special other (returns) ($95 million), and electrical machinery ($45 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Ethiopia totaled $151 million in 2019. Leading categories include: unroasted coffee ($130 million), nursery products ($6 million), spices ($3 million), planting seeds ($357 thousand), and wine and beer ($271 thousand).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Ethiopia was $442 million in 2019, a 48.8% decrease ($422 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Ethiopia are unavailable. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Ethiopia.
- No data on Ethiopia's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Ethiopia FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Ethiopia are available.