You are here
AGOA Status: Ethiopia is eligible for AGOA this year. It also qualifies for textile and apparel benefits.
U.S. - Ethiopia Trade Facts
Ethiopia is currently our 82nd largest goods trading partner with $1.8 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $1.3 billion; goods imports totaled $445 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Ethiopia was $863 million in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Ethiopia supported an estimated 8 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Ethiopia was the United States' 75th largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Ethiopia in 2018 were $1.3 billion, up 49.1% ($431 million) from 2017 and up 333.8% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: aircraft ($1.1 billion), cereals (wheat) ($48 million), machinery ($40 million), electrical machinery ($31 million), and special other (returns) ($26 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Ethiopia totaled $76 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: wheat ($48 million), pulses ($12 million), vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($11 million), dairy products ($1 million), and coarse grains (ex. corn) ($891 thousand).
- Ethiopia was the United States' 97th largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Ethiopia totaled $445 million in 2018, up 52.6% ($153 million) from 2017, and up 192.2% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: coffee, tea & spice (coffee) ($140 million), special other (returns) ($70 million), knit apparel ($61 million), woven apparel ($51 million), and footwear ($35 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Ethiopia totaled $168 million in 2018. Leading categories include: coffee, unroasted ($139 million), nursery products ($5 million), spices ($3 million), planting seeds ($481 thousand), and wine and beer ($423 thousand).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Ethiopia was $863 million in 2018, a 47.4% increase ($278 million) over 2017.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Ethiopia are unavailable. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Ethiopia.
- Ethiopia's FDI in the United States (stock) was $4 million in 2017 (latest data available). There is no information on the distribution of Ethiopia FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Ethiopia are available.