AGOA Status: Niger is eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA), which includes Niger, have a Trade & Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA).
U.S.-Niger Trade Facts
In 2019, Niger GDP was an estimated $9.4 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 5.8%; and the population was 23 million. (Source: IMF)
Niger is currently our 160th largest goods trading partner with $139 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $93 million; goods imports totaled $47 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Niger was $46 million in 2019.
- Niger was the United States' 156th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Niger in 2019 were $93 million, up 50.1% ($31 million) from 2018 and up 59.0% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: vehicles ($30 million), electrical machinery ($11 million), machinery ($11 million), aircraft ($10 million), and optical and medical instruments ($9 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Niger totaled $5 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($977 thousand), pulses ($950 thousand), rice ($591 thousand), prepared food ($226 thousand), and beef & beef products ($207 thousand).
- Niger was the United States' 142th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Niger totaled $47 million in 2019, up 58.0% ($17 million) from 2018, but down 56.2% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: special other (returns) ($39 million), organic chemicals ($3 million), art and antiques ($1 million), machinery ($1 million), and aircraft ($409 thousand).
- There were no agricultural products imported from Niger in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Niger was $46 million in 2019, a 42.8% increase ($14 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Niger are unavailable. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Niger.
- No data on Niger's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Niger FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Niger are available.