AGOA Status: Burkina Faso is eligible for AGOA this year. It also qualifies for textile and apparel benefits.
U.S.-Burkina Faso Trade Facts
In 2019, Burkina Faso GDP was an estimated $14.6 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 6.0%; and the population was 20 million. (Source: IMF)
Burkina Faso is currently our 179th largest goods trading partner with $72 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $66 million; goods imports totaled $6 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Burkina Faso was $60 million in 2019.
- Burkina Faso was the United States' 168th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Burkina Faso in 2019 were $66 million, up 11.3% ($7 million) from 2018 and up 156.4% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: machinery ($20 million), pharmaceuticals ($14 million), electrical machinery ($6 million), vehicles ($5 million), and special other (returns) ($5 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Burkina Faso totaled $2 million in 2019.
- Burkina Faso was the United States' 180th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Burkina Faso totaled $6 million in 2019, up 17.3% ($880 thousand) from 2018, and up 182.4% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: edible fruit & nuts (cocoa, brazil, cashew) ($5 million), special other (returns) ($510 thousand), miscellaneous grain, seeds, fruit (plants) ($206 thousand), art and antiques ($112 thousand), and electrical machinery ($86 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Burkina Faso totaled $5 million in 2019. Leading categories include: processed fruit & vegetables ($3 million), tree nuts ($2 million), tea, including herbal ($206 thousand), other vegetable oils ($55 thousand), and nursery products ($8 thousand).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Burkina Faso was $60 million in 2019, a 10.7% increase ($6 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Burkina Faso are unavailable.
- No data on Burkina Faso's FDI in the U.S. are available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Burkina Faso are available.