AGOA Status: Togo is eligible for AGOA this year. It also qualifies for textile and apparel benefits.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA), which includes Togo, have a Trade & Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA).
U.S.-Togo Trade Facts
In 2019, Togo GDP was an estimated $5.5 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 5.3%; and the population was 8 million. (Source: IMF)
Togo is currently our 123rd largest goods trading partner with $451 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $438 million; goods imports totaled $13 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Togo was $425 million in 2019.
- Togo was the United States' 105th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Togo in 2019 were $438 million, down 32.5% ($211 million) from 2018 but up 251.0% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: mineral fuels ($325 million), vehicles ($54 million), plastics ($23 million), miscellaneous food (sauces and preparations) ($10 million), and special other (returns) ($4 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Togo totaled $19 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: condiments and sauces ($6 million), prepared food ($5 million), rice ($4 million), pulses ($2 million), and vegetable oils (excluding soybean) ($2 million).
- Togo was the United States' 168th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Togo totaled $13 million in 2019, up $3 thousand from 2018, and up 96.0% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: artificial flowers, feather or down articles ($8 million), animal or vegetable fats and oils (oter fixed vegetables) ($1 million), live animals (live reptiles) ($793 thousand), soap, wax, dental prep ($583 thousand), and paper, paperboard.
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Togo totaled $2 million in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Togo was $425 million in 2019, a 33.2% decrease ($211 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Togo are unavailable. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Togo.
- No data on Togo's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Togo FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Togo are available.