AGOA Status: Benin is eligible for AGOA this year. It also qualifies for textile and apparel benefits.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA), which includes Benin, signed a Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) in 2002.
U.S.-Benin Trade Facts
In 2019, Benin GDP was an estimated $14.4 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 6.4%; and the population was 12 million. (Source: IMF)
Benin is currently our 140th largest goods trading partner with $275 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $267 million; goods imports totaled $9 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Benin was $258 million in 2019.
- Benin was the United States' 124th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Benin in 2019 were $267 million, up 4.9% ($13 million) from 2018 but down 32.9% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: vehicles ($208 million), meat (poultry) ($23 million), cereals (rice) ($8 million), machinery ($4 million), and beverages (wine) ($4 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Benin totaled $36 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: poultry meat & products (ex. eggs) ($23 million), rice ($8 million), wine & beer ($4 million), condiments & sauces ($332 thousand), and pulses ($101 thousand).
- Benin was the United States' 177th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Benin totaled $9 million in 2019, down 55.2% ($11 million) from 2018, but up 1,848.4% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: edible fruit & nuts (cocoa, brazil, cashew) ($8 million), preserved food (other fruit, nut) ($197 thousand), furniture and bedding ($174 thousand), woven apparel ($92 thousand), and special other (returns) ($81 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Benin totaled $8 million in 2019. The leading category is: tree nuts ($8 million).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Benin was $258 million in 2019, a 9.8% increase ($23 million) over 2018.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Benin (stock) was $2 million in 2019, unchanged from 2018. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Benin.
- No data on Benin's FDI in the U.S. are available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Benin are available.