AGOA Status: Burundi is not eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. signed Trade and Investment Framework Agreements (TIFA) with the East African Community (EAC) in 2008, and with the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) in 2001. Burundi is a member of both regional organizations.
U.S.-Burundi Trade Facts
In 2019, Burundi GDP was an estimated $3.6 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 1.8%; and the population was 12 million. (Source: IMF)
Burundi is currently our 206th largest goods trading partner with $12 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $2 million; goods imports totaled $10 million. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Burundi was $8 million in 2019.
- Burundi was the United States' 213th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Burundi in 2019 were $2 million, down 83.1% ($12 million) from 2018 and down 71.8% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: cereals (wheat) ($869 thousand), machinery ($414 thousand), special other (articles donated for relief) ($397 thousand), miscellaneous textile articles ($240 thousand), and electrical machinery ($217 thousand).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Burundi totaled $899 thousand in 2019.
- Burundi was the United States' 174th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Burundi totaled $10 million in 2019, down 28.4% ($4 million) from 2018, but up 145.5% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: coffee, tea & spice (coffee) ($8 million), ores, slag, and ash (tungsten) ($1 million), tobacco ($88 thousand), art and antiques ($30 thousand), and special other (low value estimates) ($11 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Burundi totaled $8 million in 2019. The leading category is: unroasted coffee ($8 million).
- The U.S. trade balance with Burundi shifted from a goods trade surplus of $546 thousand in 2018 to a goods trade deficit of $8 million in 2019.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Burundi (stock) was $1 million in 2019, unchanged from 2018. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Burundi.
- No data on Burundi's FDI in the U.S. are available
NOTE: No services trade data with Burundi are available.