AGOA Status: Lesotho is eligible for AGOA this year. It also qualifies for textile and apparel benefits.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and the Southern Africa Customs Union (SACU), which includes Lesotho, signed a Trade, Investment, and Development Cooperative Agreement (TIDCA) in 2008. The TIDCA establishes a forum for consultative discussions, cooperative work, and possible agreements on a wide range of trade issues, with a special focus on customs and trade facilitation, technical barriers to trade, sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures, and trade and investment promotion.
U.S.-Lesotho Trade Facts
Lesotho is currently our 128th largest goods trading partner with $424 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $2 million; goods imports totaled $422 million. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Lesotho was $420 million in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Lesotho supported an estimated 2 jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Lesotho was the United States' 212th largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Lesotho in 2018 were $2 million, up 21.6% ($410 thousand) from 2017 and up 72.6% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: optical and medical instruments ($1 million), machinery ($456 thousand), electrical machinery ($208 thousand), special other ($108 thousand), and plastics ($64 thousand).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Lesotho totaled $14 thousand in 2018.
- Lesotho was the United States' 100th largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Lesotho totaled $422 million in 2018, up 36.8% ($113 million) from 2017, and up 12.7% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: knit apparel ($213 million), woven apparel ($108 million), precious metal and stone ($98 million), electrical machinery ($2 million), and special other ($391 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Lesotho totaled $109 thousand in 2018.
- The U.S. goods trade deficit with Lesotho was $420 million in 2018, a 36.9% increase ($113 million) over 2017.
U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Lesotho (stock) was $3 million in 2017, unchanged from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Lesotho.
No data on Lesotho's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Lesotho FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Lesotho are available.