AGOA Status: The Gambia is eligible for AGOA this year.
U.S.-The Gambia Trade Facts
In 2019, The Gambia GDP was an estimated $1.8 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 6.0%; and the population was 2 million. (Source: IMF)
The Gambia is currently our 184th largest goods trading partner with $47 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $45 million; goods imports totaled $2 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with The Gambia was $43 million in 2019.
- The Gambia was the United States' 173rd largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to The Gambia in 2019 were $45 million, up 8.9% ($4 million) from 2018 and up 34% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: meat (poultry) ($13 million), miscellaneous food (sauces and preparations) ($10 million), vehicles ($9 million), plastics ($4 million), and furniture and bedding ($3 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Gambia totaled $23 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: poultry meat & products (ex. eggs) ($13 million), condiments & sauces ($9 million), prepared food ($1 million), vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($137 thousand), and beef & beef products ($57 thousand).
- The Gambia was the United States' 209th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from The Gambia totaled $2 million in 2019, up 174.8% ($988 thousand) from 2018, and up 27.9% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: special other (returns) ($1 million), fish and seafood (frozen fish, not fillet) ($182 thousand), animal or vegetable fats and oils (fish and marine mammal) ($158 thousand), special other (low value estimates) ($61 thousand), and cotton ($22 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Gambia totaled $111 thousand in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with The Gambia was $43 million in 2019, a 6.6% increase ($3 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in The Gambia are unavailable.
- No data on The Gambia's FDI in the U.S. are available.
NOTE: No services trade data with The Gambia are available.