AGOA Status: The Republic of Congo (ROC) is eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and ROC have a Bilateral Investment Treaty (BIT). It was signed in 1990 and entered into force in 1994.
U.S.-Republic of Congo Trade Facts
In 2019, Congo (Brazzaville) GDP was an estimated $11.6 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was down by an estimated 0.9%; and the population was 5 million. (Source: IMF)
- Congo (Brazzaville) was the United States' 146th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Congo (Brazzaville) in 2019 were $106 million, up 5.4% ($5 million) from 2018 but down 61.8% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: meat (poultry) ($43 million), machinery ($27 million), electrical machinery ($5 million), plastics ($4 million), and iron and steel products ($4 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Congo (Brazzaville) totaled $45 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: poultry meat & products (ex. eggs) ($43 million), rice ($1 million), condiments & sauces ($323 thousand), vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($288 thousand), and pork & pork products ($194 thousand).
- Congo (Brazzaville) was the United States' 89th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Congo (Brazzaville) totaled $563 million in 2019, up 30.1% ($130 million) from 2018, but down 81.9% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: mineral fuels ($540 million), wood and wood products ($14 million), art and antiques ($2 million), special other (returns) ($2 million), and precious metal and stone (other stones, not strung) ($1 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Congo (Brazzaville) totaled $2 million in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade deficit with Congo (Brazzaville) was $457 million in 2019, a 37.5% increase ($125 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Congo (Brazzaville) are unavailable.
- No data on Congo (Brazzaville)'s FDI in the U.S. are available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Congo (Brazzaville) are available.