AGOA Status: Mauritania is not eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and Mauritania have no trade agreements.
U.S.-Mauritania Trade Facts
In 2019, Mauritania GDP was an estimated $5.7 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 5.9%; and the population was 4 million. (Source: IMF)
Mauritania is currently our 171st largest goods trading partner with $96 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $91 million; goods imports totaled $5 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Mauritania was $86 million in 2019.
- Mauritania was the United States' 157th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Mauritania in 2019 were $91 million, up 2.6% ($2 million) from 2018 and up 61.1% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: machinery ($24 million), meat (poultry) ($15 million), vehicles ($9 million), mineral fuels ($9 million), and inorganic chemicals ($7 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Mauritania totaled $16 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: poultry meat & products (ex. eggs) ($15 million), prepared food ($184 thousand), fresh fruit ($57 thousand), fresh vegetables ($21 thousand), and rice ($10 thousand).
- Mauritania was the United States' 187th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Mauritania totaled $5 million in 2019, down 62.0% ($8 million) from 2018, and down 85.5% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: special other (returns) ($2 million), fish and seafood (other seafood) ($1 million), fertilizers ($975 thousand), miscellaneous manufactured goods ($609 thousand), and prepared meat and fish (crustaceans) ($488 thousand).
- There were no agricultural products imported from Mauritania in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Mauritania was $86 million in 2019, a 14.1% increase ($11 million) over 2018.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Mauritania (stock) was $96 million in 2019, a 231.0% increase from 2018. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Mauritania.
- No data on Mauritania's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Mauritania FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Mauritania are available.