You are here
AGOA Status: Angola is eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and Angola signed a Trade & Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) in 2009. The first meeting of the United States-Angolan Council on Trade and Investment was held in June 2010 in Luanda.
U.S.-Angola Trade Facts
Angola is currently our 64th largest goods trading partner with $4.0 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2015. Goods exports totaled $1.2 billion; goods imports totaled $2.8 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Angola was $1.6 billion in 2015.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Angola supported an estimated 11 thousand jobs in 2014 (latest data available).
- Angola was the United States' 74th largest goods export market in 2015.
- U.S. goods exports to Angola in 2015 were $1.2 billion, down 43% ($876 million) from 2014 but up 25% from 2005.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2015 were: machinery ($491 million), iron and steel products ($174 million), meat (poultry) ($115 million), electrical machinery ($54 million), and optical and medical instruments ($43 million).
- U.S. exports of agricultural products to Angola totaled $128 million in 2015. Leading categories include: poultry ($109 million), beef & beef products ($7 million), prepared food ($4 million), and pulses ($4 million).
- Angola was the United States' 60th largest supplier of goods imports in 2015.
- U.S. goods imports from Angola totaled $2.8 billion in 2015, down 51% ($2.9 billion) from 2014, and down 67% from 2005.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2015 were: mineral fuels ($2.7 billion), precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($66 million), wood and wood products ($4 million), special other (returns) ($1 million), and books, newspapers ($35 thousand).
- There were no agricultural products imported from Angola in 2015.
- The U.S. goods trade deficit with Angola was $1.6 billion in 2015, a 55.3% decrease ($2.0 billion) over 2014.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Angola (stock) was $1.9 billion in 2014 (latest data available), a 56.2% increase from 2013. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Angola.
- Angola's FDI in the United States (stock) was $75 million in 2014 (latest data available), down 48.6% from 2013. The distribution of Angola FDI in the United States is not available.
*NOTE: No services trade data with Angola is available.