AGOA Status: Angola is eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and Angola signed a Trade & Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) in 2009. The first meeting of the United States-Angolan Council on Trade and Investment was held in June 2010 in Luanda.
U.S.-Angola Trade Facts
Angola is currently our 72nd largest goods trading partner with $3.2 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $525 million; goods imports totaled $2.7 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Angola was $2.2 billion in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Angola supported an estimated 7 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
Angola was the United States' 99th largest goods export market in 2018.
U.S. goods exports to Angola in 2018 were $525 million, down 35.1% ($284 million) from 2017 and down 74.0% from 2008.
The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: meat (poultry) ($188 million), machinery ($168 million), electrical machinery ($26 million), aircraft ($21 million), and miscellaneous chemical products ($20 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Angola totaled $193 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: poultry meat & prods. (ex. eggs) ($184 million), beef & beef products ($4 million), prepared food ($2 million), planting seeds ($1 million), and pulses ($515 thousand).
- Angola was the United States' 61st largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Angola totaled $2.7 billion in 2018, up 3.6% ($95 million) from 2017, but down 85.7% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: mineral fuels ($2.5 billion), precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($198 million), special other (returns) ($5 million), railway vehicles/equipment ($391 thousand), and iron and steel products ($355 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Angola totaled $77 thousand in 2018.
- The U.S. goods trade deficit with Angola was $2.2 billion in 2018, a 21.1% increase ($379 million) over 2017.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Angola (stock) was $394 million in 2018, a 49.5% decrease from 2017. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Angola.
- Angola's FDI in the United States (stock) was $267 million in 2018, up 18.1% from 2017. There is no information on the distribution of Angola FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Angola are available.