AGOA Status: Sudan is not eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), which includes Sudan, signed a Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) in 2001.
U.S.-Sudan Trade Facts
In 2019, Sudan GDP was an estimated $30.9 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was down by an estimated 2.5%; and the population was 43 million. (Source: IMF)
Sudan is currently our 172th largest goods trading partner with $95 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $74 million; goods imports totaled $21 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Sudan was $53 million in 2019.
- Sudan was the United States' 164th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Sudan in 2019 were $74 million, down 22.0% ($21 million) from 2018 and down 5.5% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: cereals (grain sorghum) ($34 million), animal or vegetable fats and oils (other fixed vegetables fats and oils) ($11 million), vegetables (dried legums) ($8 million), miscellaneous food (other food preparations) ($7 million), and oilseeds and oleaginous fruits (sowing seed) ($4 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Sudan totaled $65 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: coarse grains (ex. corn) ($24 million), wheat ($12 million), vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($11 million), pulses ($8 million), and prepared food ($5 million).
- Sudan was the United States' 158th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Sudan totaled $21 million in 2019, up 35.7% ($6 million) from 2018, and up 114.9% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: mineral fuels ($14 million), vegetable saps and extracts (gum arabic) ($7 million), art and antiques ($72 thousand), live animals (live reptiles) ($56 thousand), and precious metal and stone (imitation jewelry) ($56 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Sudan totaled $620 thousand in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Sudan was $53 million in 2019, a 33.4% decrease ($26 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Sudan are unavailable. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Sudan.
- No data on Sudan's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Sudan FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Sudan are available.