AGOA Status: Namibia is eligible for AGOA this year. It also qualifies for textile and apparel benefits.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and the Southern Africa Customs Union (SACU), which includes Namibia, signed a Trade, Investment, and Development Cooperative Agreement (TIDCA) in 2008. The TIDCA establishes a forum for consultative discussions, cooperative work, and possible agreements on a wide range of trade issues, with a special focus on customs and trade facilitation, technical barriers to trade, sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures, and trade and investment promotion.
U.S.-Namibia Trade Facts
In 2019, Namibia GDP was an estimated $14.4 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was down by an estimated 1.4%; and the population was 2 million. (Source: IMF)
Namibia is currently our 130th largest goods trading partner with $338 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $194 million; goods imports totaled $144 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Namibia was $50 million in 2019.
- Namibia was the United States' 132nd largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Namibia in 2019 were $194 million, down 5.5% ($11 million) from 2018 and down 3.9% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: special other (returns) ($35 million), mineral fuels ($34 million), miscellaneous chemical products ($34 million), machinery ($33 million), and rubber ($10 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Namibia totaled $3 million in 2019.
- Namibia was the United States' 113th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Namibia totaled $144 million in 2019, up 20.6% ($25 million) from 2018, but down 56.2% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($97 million), ores, slag, and ash (uranium) ($20 million), special other (returns) ($17 million), stone, plaster, cement ($6 million), and machinery ($1 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Namibia totaled $1 million in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Namibia was $50 million in 2019, a 41.5% decrease ($36 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Namibia are unavailable. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Namibia.
- Namibia's FDI in the United States (stock) was $2 million in 2018. There is no information on the distribution of Namibia FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Namibia are available.