AGOA Status: Malawi is eligible for AGOA this year. It also qualifies for textile and apparel benefits.
U.S.-Malawi Trade Facts
In 2019, Malawi GDP was an estimated $7.5 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 4.5%; and the population was 20 million. (Source: IMF)
Malawi is currently our 170th largest goods trading partner with $103 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $23 million; goods imports totaled $80 million. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Malawi was $57 million in 2019.
- Malawi was the United States' 180th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Malawi in 2019 were $23 million, up 32.3% ($6 million) from 2018 but down 43.6% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: cereals (wheat) ($6 million), machinery ($4 million), special other (low value export shipments) ($4 million), optical and medical instruments ($2 million), and plastics ($2 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Malawi totaled $6 million in 2019. The leading domestic export category is: wheat ($6 million).
- Malawi was the United States' 128th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Malawi totaled $80 million in 2019, up 39.2% ($23 million) from 2018, and up 26.4% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: tobacco ($38 million), coffee, tea & spice (tea) ($18 million), edible fruit & nuts (other nut, fresh dried) ($13 million), sugar ($8 million), and knit apparel ($2 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Malawi totaled $77 million in 2019. Leading categories include: tobacco ($38 million), tea, including herbal ($17 million), tree nuts ($14 million), raw beet & cane sugar ($8 million), and unroasted coffee ($1 million).
- The U.S. goods trade deficit with Malawi was $57 million in 2019, a 42.2% increase ($17 million) over 2018.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Malawi (stock) was $70 million in 2019, a 34.6% increase from 2018. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Malawi.
- No data on Malawi's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Malawi FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Malawi are available.