U.S.-Paraguay Trade Facts
In 2019, Paraguay GDP was an estimated $40.7 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 0.2%; and the population was 7 million. (Source: IMF)
Paraguay is currently our 78th largest goods trading partner with $2.3 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $2.1 billion; goods imports totaled $162 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Paraguay was $1.9 billion in 2019.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Paraguay supported an estimated 7 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Paraguay was the United States' 61st largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Paraguay in 2019 were $2.1 billion, down 6.6% ($149 million) from 2018 but up 55.6% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: electrical machinery ($1.3 billion), machinery ($333 million), mineral fuels ($117 million), toys and sports equipment ($64 million), and vehicles ($43 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Paraguay totaled $43 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: wine & beer ($26 million), prepared food ($4 million), snack foods not elsewhere specified or indicated ($3 million), chocolate & cocoa products ($928 thousand), and sugar, sweeteners, beverages bases ($700 thousand).
- Paraguay was the United States' 109th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Paraguay totaled $162 million in 2019, up 23.7% ($31 million) from 2018, and up 187.0% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: oilseeds and oleaginous fruits (other oilseeds and olegenius fruits) ($27 million), other animal products ($27 million), sugar ($23 million), cereals (corn) ($16 million), and electrical machinery ($14 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Paraguay totaled $106 million in 2019. Leading categories include: sugars, sweeteners, beverage bases ($19 million), coarse grains ($16 million), raw beet & cane sugar ($4 million), other vegetable oils ($3 million), and essential oils ($3 million).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Paraguay was $1.9 billion in 2019, a 8.5% decrease ($180 million) over 2018.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Paraguay (stock) was $45 million in 2019, a 72.4% decrease from 2018. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Paraguay.
- No data on Paraguay's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Paraguay FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Paraguay are available.