U.S.-Ecuador Trade Facts
Ecuador is currently our 42nd largest goods trading partner with $12.5 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2016. Goods exports totaled $5.8 billion; goods imports totaled $6.7 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Ecuador was $973 million in 2016.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of Goods to Ecuador supported an estimated 23 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Ecuador was the United States' 40th largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Ecuador in 2018 were $5.8 billion, up 19.5% ($940 million) from 2017 and up 67.0% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: mineral fuels ($2.8 billion), machinery ($656 million), electrical machinery ($388 million), plastics ($268 million), and paper, paperboard ($199 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Ecuador totaled $373 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: soybean meal ($120 million), wheat ($59 million), feeds & fodders nesoi ($30 million), cotton ($29 million), and prepared food ($19 million).
- Ecuador was the United States' 41st largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Ecuador totaled $6.7 billion in 2018, up 5.6% ($355 million) from 2017, but down 26% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: mineral fuels ($4.2 billion), fish and seafood (crustraceans) ($643 million), edible fruit & nuts (bananas, plantains) ($448 million), live trees and plants ($260 million), and special other (low value estimates) ($209 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Ecuador totaled $1.1 billion in 2018. Leading categories include: bananas and plantains ($367 million), nursery products ($260 million), processed fruit & vegetables ($166 million), cocoa beans ($123 million), and other fresh fruit ($61 million).
- The U.S. goods trade deficit with Ecuador was $973 million in 2018, a 37.5% decrease ($585 million) over 2017.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Ecuador (stock) was $779 million in 2017, a 24.8% decrease from 2016. U.S. direct investment in Ecuador is led by manufacturing, mining, and wholesale trade.
- Ecuador's FDI in the United States (stock) was $14 million in 2017. There is no information on the distribution of Ecuador FDI in the U.S.
- Sales of services in Ecuador by majority U.S.-owned affiliates were $1.0 billion in 2017 (latest data available). There were no sales of services in the United States by majority Ecuador owned firms in 2017.
NOTE: No services trade data with Ecuador are available.