You are here
U.S.-Bolivia Trade Facts
Bolivia is currently our 88th largest goods trading partner with $1.2 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2017. Goods exports totaled $595 million; goods imports totaled $567 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Bolivia was $28 million in 2017.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Bolivia supported an estimated 4 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Bolivia was the United States' 88th largest goods export market in 2017.
- U.S. goods exports to Bolivia in 2017 were $595 million, down 9.5% ($63 million) from 2016 but up 114.2% from 2007.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2017 were: machinery ($141 million), electrical machinery ($86 million), aircraft ($49 million), precious metal and stone (jewelry) ($42 million), and optical and medical instruments ($36 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Bolivia totaled $41 million in 2017. Leading domestic export categories include: prepared food ($17 million), non-alcoholic bev. (ex. juices) ($3 million), chocolate & cocoa products ($3 million), planting seeds ($3 million), and snack foods nesoi ($2 million).
- Bolivia was the United States' 87th largest supplier of goods imports in 2017.
- U.S. goods imports from Bolivia totaled $567 million in 2017, down 41.9% ($409 million) from 2016, but up 56.3% from 2007.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2017 were: precious metal and stone (gold) ($213 million), tin ($133 million), edible fruit & nuts (brazil nuts)($48 million), cereals (quinoa) ($37 million), and special other (returns) ($24 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Bolivia totaled $108 million in 2017. Leading categories include: tree nuts ($48 million), coffee, unroasted ($3 million), planting seeds ($1 million), processed fruit & vegetables ($1 million), and spices ($643 thousand).
- The U.S. trade balance with Bolivia shifted from a goods trade deficit of $318 million in 2016 to a goods trade surplus of $28 million in 2017.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Bolivia (stock) was $598 million in 2017, a 8.3% increase from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Bolivia.
- No data on Bolivia's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Bolivia FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Bolivia are available.