You are here
U.S.-Bolivia Trade Facts
Bolivia is currently our 79th largest goods trading partner with $1.9 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2015. Goods exports totaled $910 million; goods imports totaled $1.0 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Bolivia was $97 million in 2015.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Bolivia supported an estimated 5 thousand jobs in 2014 (latest data available).
- Bolivia was the United States' 81st largest goods export market in 2015.
- U.S. goods exports to Bolivia in 2015 were $910 million, down 9.9% ($100 million) from 2014 but up 315% from 2005.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2015 were: machinery ($244 million), aircraft ($154 million), electrical machinery ($120 million), optical and medical instruments ($53 million), and mineral fuels ($49 million).
- U.S. exports of agricultural products to Bolivia totaled $35 million in 2015. Leading categories include: prepared food ($14 million), non-alcoholic bev. (ex. juices) ($5 million), chocolate & cocoa products ($4 million), snack foods ($2 million), and planting seeds ($2 million).
- Bolivia was the United States' 74th largest supplier of goods imports in 2015.
- U.S. goods imports from Bolivia totaled $1.0 billion in 2015, down 48% ($928 million) from 2014, but up 243% from 2005.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2015 were: precious metal and stone (gold) ($670 million), tin ($97 million), cereals (quinoa) ($50 million), edible fruit & nuts (brazil nuts) ($40 million), and miscellaneous grain, seeds, fruit ($37 million).
- U.S. imports of agricultural products from Bolivia totaled $135 million in 2015. Leading categories include: tree nuts ($40 million), coffee, unroasted ($3 million), essential oils ($2 million), processed fruit & vegetables ($1 million), and planting seeds ($571 thousand).
- The U.S. goods trade deficit with Bolivia was $97 million in 2015, a 89.6% decrease ($828 million) over 2014.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Bolivia (stock) was $578 million in 2014 (latest data available), a 5.7% decrease from 2013. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Bolivia.
No data on Bolivia's FDI in the U.S. are available.