You are here
U.S.-Bolivia Trade Facts
Bolivia is currently our 84th largest goods trading partner with $1.6 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2016. Goods exports totaled $657 million; goods imports totaled $974 million. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Bolivia was $318 million in 2016.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Bolivia supported an estimated 4 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Bolivia was the United States' 89th largest goods export market in 2016.
- U.S. goods exports to Bolivia in 2016 were $657 million, down 29% ($275 million) from 2015 but up 205% from 2006.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2016 were: machinery ($177 million), electrical machinery ($83 million), precious metal and stone (jewelry) ($53 million), aircraft ($46 million), and optical and medical instruments ($40 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Bolivia totaled $56 million in 2016. Leading domestic export categories include: prepared food ($17 million), wheat ($10 million), sugar, sweeteners, bev. bases ($6 million), chocolate & cocoa products ($5 million), and planting seeds ($3 million).
- Bolivia was the United States' 76th largest supplier of goods imports in 2016.
- U.S. goods imports from Bolivia totaled $974 million in 2016, down 3.2% ($32 million) from 2015, but up 169% from 2006.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2016 were: precious metal and stone (gold) ($663 million), tin ($107 million), edible fruit & nut ( brazil nuts) ($40 million), cereals (quinoa) ($38 million), and mineral fuels ($19 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Bolivia totaled $102 million in 2016. Leading categories include: tree nuts ($40 million), coffee, unroasted ($3 million), planting seeds ($2 million), essential oils ($1 million), and processed fruit & vegetables ($1 million).
- The U.S. goods trade deficit with Bolivia was $318 million in 2016, a 323.4% increase ($243 million) over 2015.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Bolivia (stock) was $489 million in 2015 (latest data available), a 1.6% decrease from 2014. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Bolivia.
- No data on Bolivia's FDI in the U.S. are available.