U.S.-Bolivia Trade Facts
Bolivia is currently our 97th largest goods trading partner with $1.0 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $562 million; goods imports totaled $486 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Bolivia was $76 million in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Bolivia supported an estimated 4 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Bolivia was the United States' 97th largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Bolivia in 2018 were $562 million, down 5.5% ($33 million) from 2017 but up 44.3% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: machinery ($138 million), electrical machinery ($97 million), aircraft ($49 million), optical and medical instruments ($43 million), and miscellaneous chemical products ($32 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Bolivia totaled $41 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: prepared food ($18 million), planting seeds ($5 million), non-alcoholic bev. (ex. juices) ($5 million), chocolate & cocoa products ($4 million), and snack foods nesoi ($2 million).
- Bolivia was the United States' 92nd largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Bolivia totaled $486 million in 2018, down 14.3% ($81 million) from 2017, and down 4.9% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: tin ($130 million), precious metal and stone (gold) ($119 million), ores, slag, and ash (tungsten) ($38 million), cereals (quinoa) ($37 million), and edible fruit & nuts (brazil nuts) ($31 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Bolivia totaled $96 million in 2018. Leading categories include: tree nuts ($31 million), raw beet & cane sugar ($4 million), coffee, unroasted ($3 million), planting seeds ($2 million), and processed fruit & vegetables ($1 million).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Bolivia was $76 million in 2018, a 174.2% increase ($48 million) over 2017..
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Bolivia (stock) was $618 million in 2018, a 3.3% increase from 2017. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Bolivia.
- No data on Bolivia's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Bolivia FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Bolivia are available.