You are here
U.S.-Bolivia Trade Facts
Bolivia is currently our 97th largest goods trading partner with $1.1 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $578 million; goods imports totaled $485 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Bolivia was $93 million in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Bolivia supported an estimated 4 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Bolivia was the United States' 95th largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Bolivia in 2018 were $578 million, down 2.8% ($17 million) from 2017 but up 48.4% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: machinery ($136 million), electrical machinery ($97 million), aircraft ($49 million), optical and medical instruments ($43 million), and mineral fuels ($34 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Bolivia totaled $41 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: prepared food ($18 million), non-alcoholic bev. (ex. juices) ($5 million), chocolate & cocoa products ($4 million), planting seeds ($4 million), and snack foods nesoi ($2 million).
- Bolivia was the United States' 92nd largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Bolivia totaled $485 million in 2018, down 14.4% ($82 million) from 2017, and down 5.1% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: tin ($130 million), precious metal and stone (gold) ($119 million), ores, slag, and ash (tungsten) ($38 million), cereals (quinoa) ($36 million), and edible fruit & nuts (brazil nuts) ($31 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Bolivia totaled $95 million in 2018. Leading categories include: tree nuts ($31 million), raw beet & cane sugar ($4 million), coffee, unroasted ($3 million), planting seeds ($2 million), and processed fruit & vegetables ($1 million).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Bolivia was $93 million in 2018, a 233.2% increase ($65 million) over 2017.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Bolivia (stock) was $598 million in 2017, a 8.3% increase from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Bolivia.
- No data on Bolivia's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Bolivia FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Bolivia are available.