You are here
U.S.-Uruguay Trade Facts
Uruguay is currently our 80th largest goods trading partner with $1.9 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2015. Goods exports totaled $1.3 billion; goods imports totaled $606 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Uruguay was $696 million in 2015.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of Goods to Uruguay supported an estimated 6 thousand jobs in 2014 (latest data available).
- Uruguay was the United States' 70th largest goods export market in 2015.
- U.S. goods exports to Uruguay in 2015 were $1.3 billion, down 19% ($304 million) from 2014 but up 265% from 2005.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2015 were: machinery ($317 million), electrical machinery ($218 million), perfumery, cosmetics ($112 million), optical and medical instruments ($56 million), and pharmaceuticals ($50 million).
- U.S. exports of agricultural products to Uruguay totaled $78 million in 2015. Leading categories include: prepared food ($7 million), feeds & fodders ($6 million), sugar, sweeteners, bev. bases ($5 million), dairy products ($5 million), and chocolate & cocoa products ($5 million).
- Uruguay was the United States' 82nd largest supplier of goods imports in 2015.
- U.S. goods imports from Uruguay totaled $606 million in 2015, up 33% ($150 million) from 2014, but down 17% from 2005.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2015 were: meat (beef) ($262 million), special other (returns) ($54 million), prepared meat and fish (cornbeef) ($40 million), hides and skins ($37 million), and wood and wood products ($35 million).
- U.S. imports of agricultural products from Uruguay totaled $394 million in 2015. Leading categories include: red meats, fr/ch/fr ($260 million), red meats, prep/pres ($42 million), other fresh fruit ($28 million), other dairy products ($7 million), and planting seeds ($6 million).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Uruguay was $696 million in 2015, a 39.5% decrease ($454 million) over 2014.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Uruguay (stock) was $1.5 billion in 2014 (latest data available), a 2.1% increase from 2013. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Uruguay.
- Uruguay's FDI in the United States (stock) was $741 million in 2014 (latest data available), up 127.3% from 2013. The distribution of Uruguay's FDI in the United States is not available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Uruguay are available.