You are here
U.S.-Uruguay Trade Facts
In 2016, Uruguay GDP was an estimated $54.4 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 0.1%; and the population was 3 million. (Source: IMF)
Uruguay is currently our 80th largest goods trading partner with $1.7 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2016. Goods exports totaled $1.1 billion; goods imports totaled $536 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Uruguay was $602 million in 2016.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Uruguay supported an estimated 5 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Uruguay was the United States' 71st largest goods export market in 2016.
- U.S. goods exports to Uruguay in 2016 were $1.1 billion, down 12.1% ($157 million) from 2015 but up 136.0% from 2006.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2016 were: machinery ($215 million), electrical machinery ($196 million), perfumery, cosmetics ($114 million), mineral fuels ($89 million), and pharmaceuticals ($57 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Uruguay totaled $70 million in 2016.
- Uruguay was the United States' 85th largest supplier of goods imports in 2016.
- U.S. goods imports from Uruguay totaled $536 million in 2016, down 11.3% ($69 million) from 2015, but up 4.7% from 2006.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2016 were: meat (beef) ($206 million), special other (returns) ($56 million), prepared meat and fish (meat offal) ($41 million), hides and skins ($40 million), and optical and medical instruments ($38 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Uruguay totaled $310 million in 2016. Leading categories include: red meats, fr/ch/fr ($203 million), red meats, prep/pres ($42 million), other fresh fruit ($32 million), cheese ($6 million), and planting seeds ($4 million).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Uruguay was $602 million in 2016, a 12.8% decrease ($89 million) over 2015.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Uruguay (stock) was $1.6 billion in 2015 (latest data available), a 0.7% increase from 2014. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Uruguay.
- Uruguay's FDI in the United States (stock) was $391 million in 2015 (latest data available), down 43.4% from 2014. The distribution of Uruguay's FDI in the United States is not available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Uruguay are available.