U.S.-Kuwait Trade Facts
Kuwait is currently our 63rd largest goods trading partner with $5.1 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $3.0 billion; goods imports totaled $2.1 billion. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Kuwait was $896 million in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Kuwait supported an estimated 14 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Kuwait was the United States' 53rd largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Kuwait in 2018 were $3.0 billion, down 42.0% ($2.2 billion) from 2017 but up 9.7% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: vehicles ($867 million), machinery ($422 million), electrical machinery ($262 million), optical and medical instruments ($206 million), and iron and steel ($136 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Kuwait totaled $230 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($34 million), beef & beef products ($24 million), tree nuts ($23 million), prepared food ($19 million), and snack foods nesoi ($16 million).
- Kuwait was the United States' 66th largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Kuwait totaled $2.1 billion in 2018, down 28.6% ($838 million) from 2017, and down 70.6% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: mineral fuels ($1.9 billion), special other (returns) ($143 million), fertilizers ($34 million), miscellaneous chemical products ($19 million), and special other (low value estimates) ($851 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Kuwait totaled $250 thousand in 2018.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Kuwait was $896 million in 2018, a 59.6% decrease ($1.3 billion) over 2017.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Kuwait (stock) was $296 million in 2017 (latest data available), a 18.4% increase from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Kuwait.
Kuwait's FDI in the United States (stock) was $1.1 billion in 2017, down 0.6% from 2016. Kuwait's direct investment in the U.S. is led by manufacturing, retail trade, and retail trade.
NOTE: No services trade data with Kuwait are available.