U.S.-Qatar Trade Facts
In 2019, Qatar GDP was an estimated $191.8 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 0.1%; and the population was 3 million. (Source: IMF)
Qatar is currently our 50th largest goods trading partner with $8.2 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $6.5 billion; goods imports totaled $1.7 billion. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Qatar was $4.8 billion in 2019.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of Goods to Qatar supported an estimated 20 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Qatar was the United States' 37th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Qatar in 2019 were $6.5 billion, up 45.8% ($2.0 billion) from 2018 and up 138.0% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: aircraft ($3.3 billion), electrical machinery ($1.2 billion), machinery ($405 million), arms and ammunition ($339 million), and vehicles ($245 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Qatar totaled $139 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: poultry meat & products (ex. eggs) ($22 million), snack foods not elsewhere specified or indicated ($12 million), beef & beef products ($12 million), tree nuts ($12 million), and dairy products ($11 million).
- Qatar was the United States' 66th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Qatar totaled $1.7 billion in 2019, up 7.9% ($123 million) from 2018, and up 235.1% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: mineral fuels ($700 million), aluminum ($415 million), fertilizers ($399 million), special other (repairs) ($101 million), and inorganic chemicals ($39 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Qatar totaled $32 thousand in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Qatar was $4.8 billion in 2019, a 66.7% increase ($1.9 billion) over 2018.
U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Qatar (stock) was $14.2 billion in 2019, a 0.3% increase from 2018. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Qatar.
No data on Qatar's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Qatar FDI in the U.S.
Sales of services in Qatar by majority U.S.-owned affiliates were $626 million in 2017 (latest data available). There were no sales of services in the United States by majority Qatar owned firms in 2017.
NOTE: No services trade data with Qatar are available.