U.S.-Qatar Trade Facts
Qatar is currently our 57th largest goods trading partner with $6.0 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $4.4 billion; goods imports totaled $1.6 billion. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Qatar was $2.9 billion in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of Goods to Qatar supported an estimated 20 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Qatar was the United States' 47th largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Qatar in 2018 were $4.4 billion, up 41.6% ($1.3 billion) from 2017 and up 62.9% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: aircraft ($1.9 billion), electrical machinery ($631 million), machinery ($334 million), vehicles ($250 million), and arms and ammunition ($227 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Qatar totaled $133 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: poultry meat & prods. (ex. eggs) ($21 million), live animals ($20 million), beef & beef products ($13 million), tree nuts ($11 million), and prepared food ($10 million).
- Qatar was the United States' 69th largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Qatar totaled $1.6 billion in 2018, up 31.3% ($375 million) from 2017, and up 224.5% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: mineral fuels ($723 million), fertilizers ($371 million), aluminum ($293 million), special other (repairs) ($74 million), and inorganic chemicals ($37 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Qatar totaled $10 thousand in 2018.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Qatar was $2.9 billion in 2018, a 48.0% increase ($925 million) over 2017.
U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Qatar (stock) was $8.2 billion in 2017, a 3.1% increase from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Qatar.
Qatar's FDI in the United States (stock) was $2.3 billion in 2017, up 10.0% from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of Qatar FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Qatar are available.