U.S.-United Arab Emirates Trade Facts
In 2019, United Arab Emirates GDP was an estimated $405.8 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 1.3%; and the population was 11 million. (Source: IMF)
United Arab Emirates is currently our 30th largest goods trading partner with $24.3 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $20.0 billion; goods imports totaled $4.3 billion. The U.S. goods trade surplus with United Arab Emirates was $15.6 billion in 2019.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of Goods to United Arab Emirates supported an estimated 104 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- United Arab Emirates was the United States' 18th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to United Arab Emirates in 2019 were $20.0 billion, up 2.4% ($478 million) from 2018 and up 63.6% from 2009. U.S. exports to United Arab Emirates account for 1% of overall U.S. exports in 2019.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: aircraft ($3.8 billion), electrical machinery ($2.8 billion), vehicles ($2.6 billion), machinery ($2.3 billion), and precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($1.2 billion).
- U.S.total exports of agricultural products to United Arab Emirates totaled $1.2 billion in 2019, our 25th largest agricultural export market. Leading domestic export categories include: tree nuts ($439 million), hay ($107 million), prepared food ($74 million), snack foods not elsewhere specified or indicated ($64 million), and beef and beef products ($60 million).
- United Arab Emirates was the United States' 52nd largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from United Arab Emirates totaled $4.3 billion in 2019, down 13.0% ($652 million) from 2018, but up 190.2% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: aluminum ($1.3 billion), special other (returns) ($1.1 billion), mineral fuels ($726 million), iron and steel products ($245 million), and machinery ($181 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from United Arab Emirates totaled $32 million in 2019. Leading categories include: processed fruit & vegetables ($10 million), snack foods ($5 million), tea, including herbal, spices ($3 million), and rice ($1 million).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with United Arab Emirates was $15.6 billion in 2019, a 7.8% increase ($1.1 billion) over 2018.
U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in United Arab Emirates (stock) was $17.2 billion in 2019, a 1.6% decrease from 2018. U.S. direct investment in United Arab Emirates is led by mining, wholesale trade, and manufacturing.
United Arab Emirates's FDI in the United States (stock) was $5.1 billion in 2019, down 7.8% from 2018. There is no information on the distribution of United Arab Emirates FDI in the U.S.
- Sales of services in United Arab Emirates by majority U.S.-owned affiliates were $9.4 billion in 2017 (latest data available), while sales of services in the United States by majority United Arab Emirates-owned firms were $2.8 billion.
NOTE: No services trade data with United Arab Emirates are available.