In 2019, Yemen GDP was an estimated $29.9 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 2.1%; and the population was 32 million. (Source: IMF)
Yemen is currently our 141st largest goods trading partner with $275 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $270 million; goods imports totaled $5 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Yemen was $265 million in 2019.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Yemen supported an estimated 9 hundred jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Yemen was the United States' 123rd largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Yemen in 2019 were $270 million, up 41.1% ($79 million) from 2018 but down 29.2% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: cereals (wheat) ($168 million), animal or vegetable fats and oils (soybeans) ($42 million), special other (articles donated for relief) ($10 million), vegetables (legums) ($10 million), and vehicles ($8 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Yemen totaled $228 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: wheat ($168 million), vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($42 million), pulses ($10 million), prepared food ($2 million), and planting seeds ($979 thousand).
- Yemen was the United States' 190th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Yemen totaled $5 million in 2019, up 116.1% ($3 million) from 2018, but down 37.0% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: coffee, tea & spice (coffee) ($2 million), fish and seafood (fillet, other fish meat) ($2 million), machinery ($380 thousand), dairy, eggs, honey ($104 thousand), and electrical machinery ($72 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Yemen totaled $2 million in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Yemen was $265 million in 2019, a 40.3% increase ($76 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Yemen are unavailable. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Yemen.
- No data on Yemen's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Yemen FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Yemen are available.