U.S.-Kuwait Trade Facts
In 2019, Kuwait GDP was an estimated $137.6 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 0.7%; and the population was 5 million. (Source: IMF)
Kuwait is currently our 64th largest goods trading partner with $4.6 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $3.2 billion; goods imports totaled $1.4 billion. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Kuwait was $1.8 billion in 2019.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Kuwait supported an estimated 14 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Kuwait was the United States' 54th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Kuwait in 2019 were $3.2 billion, up 6.6% ($197 million) from 2018 and up 62.5% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: vehicles ($1.0 billion), machinery ($306 million), electrical machinery ($263 million), aircraft ($259 million), and optical and medical instruments ($226 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Kuwait totaled $241 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($29 million), tree nuts ($24 million), beef & beef products ($21 million), dairy products ($17 million), and snack foods not elsewhere specified or indicated ($17 million).
- Kuwait was the United States' 70th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Kuwait totaled $1.4 billion in 2019, down 32.1% ($670 million) from 2018, and down 63% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: mineral fuels ($1.2 billion), special other (returns) ($146 million), precious metal and stone (waste scrap) ($26 million), miscellaneous chemical products ($2 million), and special other (low value estimates) ($2 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Kuwait totaled $209 thousand in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Kuwait was $1.8 billion in 2019, a 97.9% increase ($867 million) over 2018.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Kuwait (stock) was $398 million in 2019, a 20.2% decrease from 2018. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Kuwait.
Kuwait's FDI in the United States (stock) was $1.3 billion in 2019, down 1.6% from 2018. Kuwait's direct investment in the U.S. is led by real estate, professional, scientific, and technical services, and retail trade.
- Sales of services in Kuwait by majority U.S.-owned affiliates were $804 million in 2017 (latest data available), while sales of services in the United States by majority Kuwait-owned firms were $622 million.
NOTE: No services trade data with Kuwait are available.