U.S.-Egypt Trade Facts
In 2019, Egypt GDP was an estimated $302.3 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 5.6%; and the population was 99 million. (Source: IMF)
Egypt is currently our 47th largest goods trading partner with $8.6 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $5.5 billion; goods imports totaled $3.2 billion. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Egypt was $2.3 billion in 2019.
- Egypt was the United States' 43rd largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Egypt in 2018 were $5.5 billion, up 8.5% ($432 million) from 2018 and up 4.4% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: aircraft ($1.1 billion), miscellaneous grain, seeds, fruit (soybeans) ($1.0 billion), mineral fuels ($669 million), machinery ($457 million), and vehicles ($257 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Egypt totaled $1.6 billion in 2019, our 18th largest agricultural export market. Leading domestic export categories include: soybeans ($995 million), wheat ($180 million), feeds & fodders not elsewhere specified or indicated ($78 million), beef & beef products ($77 million), and dairy products ($45 million).
- Egypt was the United States' 59th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Egypt totaled $3.2 billion in 2019, up 27.2% ($674 million) from 2018, and up 53.3% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: mineral fuels ($1.2 billion), knit apparel ($532 million), woven apparel ($448 million), carpets and other textile coverings ($138 million), and art and antiques ($130 million).
- U.S.total imports of agricultural products from Egypt totaled $138 million in 2019. Leading categories include: processed fruit & vegetables ($60 million), spices ($27 million), essential oils ($14 million), fruit & vegetable juices ($8 million), and tea, including herbal ($6 million).
The U.S. goods trade surplus with Egypt was $2.3 billion in 2019, a 9.4% decrease ($242 million) over 2018.
U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Egypt (stock) was $11.0 billion in 2019, a 2.0% increase from 2018. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Egypt.
Egypt's FDI in the United States (stock) was $1 million in 2019. There is no information on the distribution of Egypt FDI in the U.S.
Sales of services in Egypt by majority U.S.-owned affiliates were $1.1 billion in 2017 (latest data available), while sales of services in the United States by majority Egypt-owned firms were $3 million.
NOTE: No Services trade data with Egypt are available.