The United States and Laos meet regularly under our 2016 Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA), which provides a platform for addressing bilateral issues, monitoring Laos’ implementation of its WTO accession commitments, and coordinating on regional and multilateral issues. The latest information regarding significant trade barriers can be found in the 2021 National Trade Estimate Report, see here.
Economic and Trade Statistics
In 2020, Laos GDP was an estimated $18.7 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 0.2 percent; and the population was 7 million. (Source: IMF)
Laos is currently our 157th largest goods trading partner with $129 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2020. Goods exports totaled $25 million; goods imports totaled $105 million. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Laos was $80 million in 2020.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Laos supported an estimated 71 jobs in 2019 (latest data available).
• Laos was the United States' 184th largest goods export market in 2020.
• U.S. goods exports to Laos in 2020 were $25 million, up 43.8 percent ($7 million) from 2019 and up 94 percent from 2010.
• The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2020 were: aircraft ($5 million), wood pulp ($4 million), machinery ($2 million), vehicles ($2 million), and precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($2 million).
• U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Laos totaled $4 million in 2020. Leading domestic export categories include: rice ($1 million), soybeans ($685 thousand), pulses ($407 thousand), other feeds, meals and fodders ($194 thousand), and tobacco ($164 thousand).
• Laos was the United States' 117th largest supplier of goods imports in 2020.
• U.S. goods imports from Laos totaled $105 million in 2020, down 29.8 percent ($44 million) from 2019, but up 77 percent from 2010.
• The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2020 were: electrical machinery ($46 million), optical and medical instruments ($19 million), footwear ($11 million), precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($5 million), and coffee, tea and spice (coffee) ($4 million).
• U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Laos totaled $4 million in 2020. Leading categories include: unroasted coffee ($4 million), sugars, sweeteners, beverages bases ($181 thousand), beer ($154 thousand), rice ($28 thousand), and essential oils ($4 thousand).
• The U.S. goods trade deficit with Laos was $80 million in 2020, a 39.4 percent decrease ($52 million) over 2019.
• Data on U.S. FDI in Laos are not available.
• Data on Laos's FDI in the U.S. are not available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Laos are available.