The United States and Laos meet regularly under our 2016 Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA), which provides a platform for addressing bilateral issues, monitoring Laos’ implementation of its WTO accession commitments, and coordinating on regional and multilateral issues.
In 2018, Laos GDP was an estimated $18.4 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 6.5%; and the population was 7 million. (Source: IMF)
Laos is currently our 155th largest goods trading partner with $158 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $16 million; goods imports totaled $142 million. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Laos was $126 million in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Laos supported an estimated 92 jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Laos was the United States' 193rd largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Laos in 2018 were $16 million, down 37.7% ($10 million) from 2017 and down 12.8% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: vehicles ($4 million), precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($2 million), machinery ($2 million), plastics ($1 million), and optical and medical instruments ($964 thousand).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Laos totaled $2 million in 2018.
- Laos was the United States' 116th largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Laos totaled $142 million in 2018, up 47.3% ($46 million) from 2017, and up 234.4% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: electrical machinery ($80 million), precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($13 million), iron and steel products ($10 million), inorganic chemicals ($6 million), and knit apparel ($5 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Laos totaled $5 million in 2018. The leading category is: coffee, unroasted ($4 million).
The U.S. goods trade deficit with Laos was $126 million in 2018, a 78.2% increase ($55 million) over 2017.
NOTE: No U.S. services trade or investment data with Laos are available.