The United States and Cambodia meet regularly under our 2006 Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA), which provides a platform for addressing bilateral issues and coordinating on regional and multilateral issues. The latest information regarding significant trade barriers can be found in the 2021 National Trade Estimate Report, see here.
Economic and Trade Statistics
In 2020, Cambodia GDP was an estimated $26.3 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was down by an estimated 2.8 percent; and the population was 17 million. (Source: IMF)
Cambodia is currently our 49th largest goods trading partner with $6.9 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2020. Goods exports totaled $344 million; goods imports totaled $6.6 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Cambodia was $6.2 billion in 2020.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Cambodia supported an estimated 2 thousand jobs in 2019 (latest data available).
• Cambodia was the United States' 100th largest goods export market in 2020.
• U.S. goods exports to Cambodia in 2020 were $344 million, down 33.1 percent ($170 million) from 2019 but up 124 percent from 2010.
• The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2020 were: vehicles ($162 million), machinery ($22 million), copper ($16 million), food waste, animal feed ($15 million), and nonwoven textiles ($10 million).
• U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Cambodia totaled $68 million in 2020. Leading domestic export categories include: distillers grains ($10 million), hides and skins ($9 million), food preparations ($7 million), dairy products ($6 million), and soybean meal ($5 million).
• Cambodia was the United States' 37th largest supplier of goods imports in 2020.
• U.S. goods imports from Cambodia totaled $6.6 billion in 2020, up 23.0 percent ($1.2 billion) from 2019, and up 185 percent from 2010.
• The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2020 were: knit apparel ($2.1 billion), leather products ($950 million), woven apparel ($836 million), furniture and bedding ($737 million), and footwear ($501 million).
• U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Cambodia totaled $74 million in 2020. Leading categories include: live animals ($51 million), dog and cat food ($17 million), rice ($3 million), dextrins, peptones, and proteins ($1 million), and baked goods, cereals, and pasta ($622 thousand).
• The U.S. goods trade deficit with Cambodia was $6.2 billion in 2020, a 28.9 percent increase ($1.4 billion) over 2019.
• Data on U.S. FDI in Cambodia are not available.
• Cambodia's FDI in the United States (stock) was $6 million in 2020, up 50.0 percent from 2019. There is no information on the distribution of Cambodia FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Cambodia are available.