How can I confirm whether USTR is trying to reach me regarding the Section 301 investigations?
To confirm whether someone from USTR is trying to contact you, please call the Section 301 Hotline: (202) 395-5725.
Does USTR request payment for any reason?
No. USTR does not collect money from the public.
What should I be on the lookout for?
Be on the lookout for someone promising a benefit in exchange for personal information or money. Someone from USTR may need to contact you for official business, but the person will never:
- Demand immediate payment from you.
- Require payment by cash, check, gift card, credit card, pre-paid debit card, internet currency, or wire transfer.
- Ask for card numbers over the phone or to wire or mail cash.
Other red flags to keep in mind:
- Contact through text message, social media, or other smart phone applications.
- Email addresses not from a government agency (not ending in .gov).
- USTR “contracts” or other tender advertisements from unauthorized sources.
What can I do if I’ve been the victim of a scam?
- ReportFraud.ftc.gov is the federal government's website where you can report fraud, scams, and bad business practices.
- Contact your state attorney general
- If you gave your personal information to a scammer, go to IdentityTheft.gov for steps you can take to protect your identity.