US-Macau Trade Facts
- In 2019, Macau’s GDP was an estimated $55.1 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was down by an estimated 4.3%; and the population was 679,000. (Source: IMF)
- Macau is currently the United States’ 107th largest goods trading partner with $676 million in total (two-way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $572 million; goods imports totaled $104 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Macau was $468 million in 2019.
- According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Macau supported an estimated 2,000 jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- No services trade data with Macau are available.
- Macau was the United States' 93rd largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Macau in 2019 were $572 million, down 4.9% ($29 million) from 2018 but up 173.5% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: aircraft ($281 million); special other (low value estimates) ($112 million); precious metal and stone (jewelry) ($66 million); electrical machinery ($29 million); and toys and sports equipment ($15 million).
- U.S. exports of agricultural products to Macau totaled $3 million in 2019.
- Macau was the United States' 123rd largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Macau totaled $104 million in 2019, up 1.8% ($2 million) from 2018, but down 56% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: special other (returns) ($50 million); knit apparel ($15 million); woven apparel ($9 million); headgear ($7 million); and organic chemicals ($4 million).
- U.S. imports of agricultural products from Macau totaled $1 million in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Macau was $468 million in 2019, a 6.2% decrease ($31 million) from 2018.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Macau (stock) was $2.5 billion in 2019, a 33.9% increase from 2018. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Macau.
- No data on Macau's FDI in the United States are available. There is no information on the distribution of Macau FDI in the United States.
- Sales of services in Macau by majority U.S.-owned affiliates were $14.3 billion in 2017 (latest data available). There were no sales of services in the United States by majority Macau-owned firms in 2017.