You are here
US-Macau Trade Fact
Macau is a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China. It operates as a separate customs territory.
Macau shares many of Hong Kong's business characteristics: it is an open economy and free port; the political environment is stable and the economic outlook is positive.
Macau is currently our 108th largest goods trading partner with $598 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2017. Goods exports totaled $502 million; goods imports totaled $95 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Macau was $407 million in 2017.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Macau supported an estimated 2 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Macau was the United States' 95th largest goods export market in 2017.
- U.S. goods exports to Macau in 2017 were $502 million, down 20.6% ($130 million) from 2016 but up 121.7% from 2007.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2017 were: aircraft ($219 million), special other (low value estimates) ($107 million), precious metal and stone (jewelry) ($49 million), electrical machinery ($38 million), and machinery ($27 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Macau totaled $3 million in 2017. Leading domestic export categories include: wine & beer ($1 million), tree nuts ($296 thousand), processed fruit ($180 thousand), condiments & sauces ($130 thousand), and snack foods nesoi ($100 thousand).
- Macau was the United States' 124th largest supplier of goods imports in 2017.
- U.S. goods imports from Macau totaled $95 million in 2017, down 20.1% ($24 million) from 2016, and down 91.3% from 2007.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2017 were: special other (returns) ($40 million), organic chemicals ($11 million), glass and glassware ($10 million), knit apparel ($8 million), and furniture and bedding ($5 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Macau totaled $1 million in 2017.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Macau was $407 million in 2017, a 20.7% decrease ($106 million) over 2016.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Macau (stock) was $2.5 billion in 2016 (latest data available). There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Macau.
- Macau's FDI in the United States (stock) was $51 million in 2017, up 168.4% from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of Macau FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Macau are available.