US-Macau Trade Facts
- In 2020, Macau GDP was an estimated $26.3 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was down by an estimated 52.3 percent; and the population was 680,000. (Source: IMF)
- Macau is currently our 126th largest goods trading partner with $284 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2020. Goods exports totaled $183 million; goods imports totaled $101 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Macau was $82 million in 2020.
- According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Macau supported an estimated 2,000 jobs in 2019 (latest data available).
- Macau was the United States' 123rd largest goods export market in 2020.
- U.S. goods exports to Macau in 2020 were $183 million, down 68.0 percent ($389 million) from 2019 and down 19 percent from 2010.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2020 were: precious metal and stone (jewelry) ($64 million), special other (low value shipments) ($34 million), electrical machinery ($17 million), vehicles ($12 million), and optical and medical instruments ($10 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Macau totaled $6 million in 2020. Leading domestic export categories include: live animals ($2 million), wine and related products ($727,000), tree nuts ($260,000), processed fruit ($163,000), and condiments and sauces ($98,000).
- Macau was the United States' 118th largest supplier of goods imports in 2020.
- U.S. goods imports from Macau totaled $101 million in 2020, down 1.6 percent ($2 million) from 2019, and down 28 percent from 2010.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2020 were: woven apparel ($35 million), knit apparel ($22 million), special other (repairs and returns) ($10 million), pharmaceuticals ($8 million), and headgear ($7 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Macau totaled $1 million in 2020.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Macau was $82 million in 2020, a 82.6 percent decrease ($387 million) over 2019.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Macau (stock) was $1.4 billion in 2020, a 32.2 percent decrease from 2019. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Macau.
- Data on Macau's FDI in the U.S. are not available.
- Sales of services in Macau by majority U.S.-owned affiliates were $17.5 billion in 2018 (latest data available). There were no sales of services in the United States by majority Macau owned firms in 2018.