US-Macau Trade Fact
Macau is a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China. It operates as a separate customs territory.
Macau shares many of Hong Kong's business characteristics: it is an open economy and free port; the political environment is stable and the economic outlook is positive.
Macau is currently our 108th largest goods trading partner with $704 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2016. Goods exports totaled $602 million; goods imports totaled $102 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Macau was $499 million in 2016.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Macau supported an estimated 2 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Macau was the United States' 91st largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Macau in 2018 were $602 million, up 19.8% ($100 million) from 2017 and up 96.2% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: aircraft ($275 million), special other (low value estimates) ($123 million), precious metal and stone (jewelry) ($78 million), electrical machinery ($32 million), and toys and sports equipment ($22 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Macau totaled $5 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: wine & beer ($2 million), prepared food ($1 million), processed fruit ($196 thousand), condiments & sauces ($175 thousand), and tree nuts ($172 thousand).
- Macau was the United States' 125th largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Macau totaled $102 million in 2018, up 7.2% ($7 million) from 2017, but down 89% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: special other (returns) ($52 million), electrical machinery ($8 million), knit apparel ($6 million), glass and glassware ($6 million), and pharmaceuticals ($6 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Macau totaled $1 million in 2018.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Macau was $499 million in 2018, a 22.8% increase ($93 million) over 2017.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Macau (stock) was $2.5 billion in 2016 (latest data available). There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Macau.
- Macau's FDI in the United States (stock) was $51 million in 2017, up 168.4% from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of Macau FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Macau are available.