You are here
U.S.-Ukraine Trade Facts
Ukraine is currently our 67th largest goods trading partner with $3.8 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $2.5 billion; goods imports totaled $1.4 billion. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Ukraine was $1.1 billion in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Ukraine supported an estimated 5 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Ukraine was the United States' 59th largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Ukraine in 2018 were $2.5 billion, up 37.9% ($677 million) from 2017 and up 32.0% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: mineral fuels ($831 million), vehicles ($403 million), aircraft ($302 million), machinery ($198 million), and miscellaneous grain, seeds, fruit (sunflower seeds) ($104 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Ukraine totaled $167 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: planting seeds ($104 million), prepared food ($27 million), tobacco ($13 million), tree nuts ($8 million), and chocolate & cocoa products ($2 million).
- Ukraine was the United States' 73rd largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Ukraine totaled $1.4 billion in 2018, up 32.6% ($332 million) from 2017, but down 42.2% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: iron and steel ($786 million), iron and steel products ($133 million), electrical machinery ($59 million), animal or vegetable fats and oils (various seed oil) ($30 million), and miscellaneous grain, seeds, fruit (soybeans).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Ukraine totaled $112 million in 2018. Leading categories include: other vegetable oils ($31 million), snack foods ($23 million), fruit & vegetable juices ($5 million), wine and beer ($1 million), and essential oils ($990 thousand).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Ukraine was $1.1 billion in 2018, a 44.9% increase ($345 million) over 2017.
U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Ukraine (stock) was $398 million in 2017, a 16.4% decrease from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Ukraine.
Ukraine's FDI in the United States (stock) was $4 million in 2017, down 20.0% from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of Ukraine FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Ukraine are available.