- Affirm and build upon WTO commitments on TBT.
- Secure commitments to enhance transparency, reduce unnecessary testing and certification costs, and promote greater openness in standards development.
- Encourage TPP governments to increase public participation in the development of technical regulations, standards, and conformity assessment procedures by government bodies.
- Require TPP countries to increase the transparency of government decision making including by:
- Publishing new technical regulations and conformity assessment procedures.
- Offering opportunities for public comment.
- Providing responses to substantive issues raised by comments.
- Secure commitments aimed at enhancing cooperation in key sectors such as wine and distilled spirits, medical devices, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and information & communication technology.
For more information on technical barriers to trade, visit WWW.USTR.GOV/TRADE-AGREEMENTS/WTO-MULTILATERAL-AFFAIRS/WTO-ISSUES/TECHNICAL-BARRIERS-TRADE
- Affirm and build upon WTO commitments on SPS, making clear that countries determine for themselves the level of protection they believe to be appropriate to protect food safety, and plant and animal health.
- Establish a mechanism for TPP countries to expeditiously resolve unwarranted barriers that block the export of U.S. food and agricultural products.
- Establish new and enforceable rules to ensure that science-based SPS measures are developed and implemented in a transparent, predictable, and non-discriminatory manner.
- Improve communication, consultation, and cooperation between governments to share information and work together on food safety issues in a transparent manner.
- Allow TPP countries to take emergency measures when necessary.
- Establish an on-going mechanism for improved dialogue and cooperation on addressing SPS and TBT issues.
- Include tough customs provisions and provisions on rules of origin to help combat illegal transshipments from third countries, including those of seafood.
For more information on SPS, visit WWW.USTR.GOV/ISSUE-AREAS/AGRICULTURE/SANITARY-AND-PHYTOSANITARY-MEASURES-AND-TECHNICAL-BARRIERS-