AGOA Status: Guinea-Bissau is eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA), which includes Guinea-Bissau, have a Trade & Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA).
U.S.-Guinea-Bissau Trade Facts
In 2019, Guinea-Bissau GDP was an estimated $1.4 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 4.6%; and the population was 2 million. (Source: IMF)
Guinea-Bissau is currently our 220th largest goods trading partner with $3 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $1 million; goods imports totaled $2 million. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Guinea-Bissau was $713 thousand in 2019.
- Guinea-Bissau was the United States' 218th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Guinea-Bissau in 2019 were $1 million, down 93.3% ($17.3 million) from 2018 and down 17.7% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: meat (poultry) ($271 thousand), machinery ($271 thousand), vehicles ($208 thousand), miscellaneous chemical products ($206 thousand), and electrical machinery ($146 thousand).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Guinea-Bissau totaled $306 thousand in 2019.
- Guinea-Bissau was the United States' 207th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Guinea-Bissau totaled $2 million in 2019, up 909.4% ($2 million) from 2018, and up 4,419.8% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: edible fruit & nuts (cocoa, brazil, cashew) ($2 million), machinery ($146 thousand), special other (returns) ($126 thousand), and special other (low value estimates) ($5 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Guinea-Bissau totaled $2 million in 2019.
- The U.S. trade balance with Guinea-Bissau shifted from a goods trade surplus of $18 million in 2018 to a goods trade deficit of $713 thousand in 2019.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Guinea-Bissau are unavailable.
- No data on Guinea-Bissau's FDI in the U.S. are available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Guinea-Bissau are available.