AGOA Status: Zambia is eligible for AGOA this year. It also qualifies for textile and apparel benefits. Zambia hosted the 10th Annual AGOA Forum in Lusaka in June 2011.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), which includes Zambia, signed a Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) in 2001.
U.S.-Zambia Trade Facts
In 2019, Zambia GDP was an estimated $23.9 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 1.5%; and the population was 18 million. (Source: IMF)
Zambia is currently our 150th largest goods trading partner with $182 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $99 million; goods imports totaled $83 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Zambia was $16 million in 2019.
- Zambia was the United States' 154th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Zambia in 2019 were $99 million, down 49.2% ($96 million) from 2018 but up 73.4% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: iron and steel products ($44 million), machinery ($20 million), vehicles ($6 million), special other (returns) ($6 million), and rubber ($5 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Zambia totaled $805 thousand in 2019.
- Zambia was the United States' 126th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Zambia totaled $83 million in 2019, down 56.3% ($107 million) from 2018, but up 874.0% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($76 million), copper ($4 million), special other (returns) ($1 million), coffee, tea & spice (coffee) ($656 thousand), and iron and steel ($330 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Zambia totaled $1 million in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Zambia was $16 million in 2019, a 184.7% increase ($11 million) over 2018.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Zambia (stock) was $47 million in 2018, a 19.0% decrease from 2017. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Zambia.
- No data on Zambia's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Zambia FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Zambia are available.