AGOA Status: Djibouti is eligible for AGOA this year.
Trade Agreements: The U.S. and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), which includes Djibouti, signed a Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) in 2001.
U.S.-Djibouti Trade Facts
In 2019, Djibouti GDP was an estimated $3.2 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 7.5%; and the population was 1 million. (Source: IMF)
Djibouti is currently our 150th largest goods trading partner with $181 million in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $151 million; goods imports totaled $31 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Djibouti was $120 million in 2019.
- Djibouti was the United States' 136th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Djibouti in 2019 were $151 million, up 35.7% ($40 million) from 2018 but down 23.3% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: electrical machinery ($34 million), optical and medical instruments ($18 million), aircraft ($15 million), vehicles ($14 million), and cereals (corn) ($12 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Djibouti totaled $35 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: coarse grains (ex. corn) ($12 million), vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($7 million), pulses ($5 million), prepared food ($2 million), and rice ($65 thousand).
- Djibouti was the United States' 149th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Djibouti totaled $31 million in 2019, down 35.9% ($17 million) from 2018, but up 954.4% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: special other (returns) ($28 million), machinery ($1 million), coffee, tea & spice (coffee) ($398 thousand), electrical machinery ($341 thousand), and low value estimates ($301 thousand).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Djibouti totaled $598 thousand in 2019.
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Djibouti was $120 million in 2019, a 89.9% increase ($57 million) over 2018.
- Data on U.S. FDI in Djibouti are unavailable.
- No data on Djibouti's FDI in the U.S. are available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Djibouti are available.