You are here
U.S.-Paraguay Trade Facts
Paraguay is currently our 83rd largest goods trading partner with $1.7 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2015. Goods exports totaled $1.5 billion; goods imports totaled $162 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Paraguay was $1.3 billion in 2015.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Paraguay supported an estimated 10 thousand jobs in 2014 (latest data available).
- Paraguay was the United States' 67th largest goods export market in 2015.
- U.S. goods exports to Paraguay in 2015 were $1.5 billion, down 29% ($612 million) from 2014 but up 68% from 2005.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2015 were: electrical machinery ($699 million), machinery ($297 million), mineral fuels ($98 million), toys and sports equipment ($71 million), and vehicles ($59 million).
- U.S. exports of agricultural products to Paraguay totaled $36 million in 2015. Leading categories include: wine & beer ($23 million), prepared food ($2 million), sugar, sweeteners, bev. bases ($2 million), snack foods ($2 million), and chocolate & cocoa products ($618 thousand).
- Paraguay was the United States' 111th largest supplier of goods imports in 2015.
- U.S. goods imports from Paraguay totaled $162 million in 2015, down 17% ($34 million) from 2014, but up 214% from 2005.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2015 were: sugar ($47 million), miscellaneous grain, seeds, fruit (oilseeds) ($30 million), precious metal and stone (gold) ($22 million), wood and wood products ($15 million), and other animal products ($14 million).
- U.S. imports of agricultural products from Paraguay totaled $109 million in 2015. Leading categories include: sugars, sweeteners, bev bases ($42 million), coarse grains ($7 million), raw beet & cane sugar ($5 million), other vegetable oils ($3 million), and processed fruit & vegetables ($2 million).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Paraguay was $1.3 billion in 2015, a 30.1% decrease ($578 million) over 2014.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Paraguay (stock) was $144 million in 2014 (latest data available). There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Paraguay.
- No data on Paraguay's FDI in the U.S. are available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Paraguay are available.