You are here
U.S.-Paraguay Trade Facts
In 2018, Paraguay GDP was an estimated $41.6 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 3.7%; and the population was 7 million. (Source: IMF)
Paraguay is currently our 77th largest goods trading partner with $2.5 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $2.4 billion; goods imports totaled $131 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Paraguay was $2.2 billion in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Paraguay supported an estimated 7 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Paraguay was the United States' 61st largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Paraguay in 2018 were $2.4 billion, down 12.5% ($340 million) from 2017 but up 47.8% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: electrical machinery ($1.3 billion), machinery ($333 million), mineral fuels ($234 million), toys and sports equipment ($107 million), and vehicles ($63 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Paraguay totaled $51 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: wine & beer ($29 million), prepared food ($5 million), other snack foods ($5 million), sugar, sweeteners, bev. bases ($2 million), and chocolate & cocoa products ($724 thousand).
- Paraguay was the United States' 117th largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Paraguay totaled $131 million in 2018, up 4.8% ($6 million) from 2017, and up 67.3% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: sugar ($24 million), miscellaneous grain, seeds, fruit (oleaginous) ($22 million), other animal products ($15 million), electrical machinery ($14 million), and special other (returns) ($13 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Paraguay totaled $72 million in 2018. Leading categories include: sugars, sweeteners, bev bases ($20 million), essential oils ($4 million), raw beet & cane sugar ($4 million), other vegetable oils ($3 million), and tobacco ($1 million).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Paraguay was $2.2 billion in 2018, a 13.3% decrease ($346 million) over 2017.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Paraguay (stock) was $179 million in 2017 (latest data avaialble), a 13.5% decrease from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Paraguay.
- No data on Paraguay's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Paraguay FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Paraguay are available.