You are here
U.S.-Paraguay Trade Facts
In 2017, Paraguay GDP was an estimated $29.6 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was up by an estimated 4.3%; and the population was 7 million. (Source: IMF)
Paraguay is currently our 73rd largest goods trading partner with $2.8 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2017. Goods exports totaled $2.7 billion; goods imports totaled $125 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Paraguay was $2.6 billion in 2017.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Paraguay supported an estimated 7 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Paraguay was the United States' 54th largest goods export market in 2017.
- U.S. goods exports to Paraguay in 2017 were $2.7 billion, up 38.0% ($749 million) from 2016 and up 119.9% from 2007.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2017 were: electrical machinery ($1.5 billion), machinery ($371 million), mineral fuels ($286 million), toys and sports equipment ($161 million), and perfumery, cosmetics ($52 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Paraguay totaled $38 million in 2017. Leading domestic export categories include: wine & beer ($15 million), prepared food ($6 million), snack foods nesoi ($5 million), sugar, sweeteners, bev. bases ($2 million), and non-alcoholic bev. (ex. juices) ($842 thousand).
- Paraguay was the United States' 117th largest supplier of goods imports in 2017.
- U.S. goods imports from Paraguay totaled $125 million in 2017, down 16.0% ($24 million) from 2016, but up 84.1% from 2007.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2017 were: sugar ($44 million), miscellaneous grain, seeds, fruit (oleaginous) ($14 million), other animal products ($13 million), wood and wood products ($13 million), and electrical machinery ($8 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Paraguay totaled $86 million in 2017. Leading categories include: sugars, sweeteners, bev bases ($39 million), raw beet & cane sugar ($5 million), other vegetable oils ($4 million), essential oils ($4 million), and planting seeds ($4 million).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Paraguay was $2.6 billion in 2017, a 42.4% increase ($773 million) over 2016.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Paraguay (stock) was $179 million in 2017, a 13.5% decrease from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Paraguay.
- No data on Paraguay's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Paraguay FDI in the U.Se.
NOTE: No services trade data with Paraguay are available.