You are here
U.S.-Haiti Trade Facts
Haiti is currently our 76th largest goods trading partner with $2.3 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2017. Goods exports totaled $1.4 billion; goods imports totaled $920 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Haiti was $491 million in 2017.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Haiti supported an estimated 4 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Haiti was the United States' 69th largest goods export market in 2017.
- U.S. goods exports to Haiti in 2017 were $1.4 billion, up 29.3% ($320 million) from 2016 and up 107.4% from 2007.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2017 were: special other (donated products) ($467 million), cereals (rice) ($276 million), mineral fuels ($228 million), meat (poultry) ($61 million), and electrical machinery ($52 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Haiti totaled $420 million in 2017. Leading domestic export categories include: rice ($237 million), poultry meat & prods. (ex. eggs) ($65 million), wheat ($32 million), dairy products ($14 million), and pulses ($11 million).
- Haiti was the United States' 77th largest supplier of goods imports in 2017.
- U.S. goods imports from Haiti totaled $920 million in 2017, up 2.3% ($21 million) from 2016, and up 88.5% from 2007.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2017 were: knit apparel ($701 million), woven apparel ($161 million), perfumery, cosmetics ($13 million), edible fruit & nuts (mangos) ($12 million), and special other (returns) ($5 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Haiti totaled $31 million in 2017. Leading categories include: essential oils ($13 million), other fresh fruit ($12 million), cocoa beans ($2 million), coffee, unroasted ($363 thousand), and processed fruit & vegetables ($331 thousand).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Haiti was $491 million in 2017, a 155.8% increase ($299 million) over 2016.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Haiti (stock) was $34 million in 2017, a 36.0% increase from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Haiti.
- No data on Haiti's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Haiti FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Haiti are available