U.S.-Haiti Trade Facts
In 2019, Haiti GDP was an estimated $8.8 billion (current market exchange rates); real GDP was down by an estimated 1.2%; and the population was 11 million. (Source: IMF)
Haiti is currently our 77th largest goods trading partner with $2.3 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2019. Goods exports totaled $1.2 billion; goods imports totaled $1.1 billion. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Haiti was $181 million in 2019.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Haiti supported an estimated 4 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Haiti was the United States' 74th largest goods export market in 2019.
- U.S. goods exports to Haiti in 2019 were $1.2 billion, down 12.1% ($172 million) from 2018 but up 57.1% from 2009.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: mineral fuels ($292 million), special other (returns) ($262 million), cereals (rice) ($245 million), knit apparel ($60 million), and meat (poultry) ($53 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Haiti totaled $372 million in 2019. Leading domestic export categories include: rice ($206 million), poultry meat & products (ex. eggs) ($56 million), wheat ($29 million), dairy products ($14 million), and pulses ($12 million).
- Haiti was the United States' 75th largest supplier of goods imports in 2019.
- U.S. goods imports from Haiti totaled $1.1 billion in 2019, up 7.1% ($71 million) from 2018, and up 92% from 2009.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: knit apparel ($858 million), woven apparel ($129 million), miscellaneous textile articles ($15 million), edible fruit & nuts (mangos) ($11 million), and perfumery, cosmetics ($7 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Haiti totaled $27 million in 2019. Leading categories include: other fresh fruit ($11 million), essential oils ($7 million), cocoa beans ($5 million), unroasted coffee ($581 thousand), and processed fruit & vegetables ($518 thousand).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Haiti was $181 million in 2019, a 57.2% decrease ($242 million) over 2018.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Haiti (stock) was $29 million in 2019, a 6.5% decrease from 2018. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Haiti.
- No data on Haiti's FDI in the U.S. are available.
NOTE: No services trade data with Haiti are available.