You are here
U.S.-Haiti Trade Facts
Haiti is currently our 78th largest goods trading partner with $2.4 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $1.4 billion; goods imports totaled $991 million. The U.S. goods trade surplus with Haiti was $399 million in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Haiti supported an estimated 4 thousand jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Haiti was the United States' 71st largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Haiti in 2018 were $1.4 billion, down 1.4% ($20 million) from 2017 but up 47.3% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: special other (donated products) ($406 million), mineral fuels ($274 million), cereals (rice) ($231 million), electrical machinery ($62 million), and meat (poultry) ($61 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Haiti totaled $366 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: rice ($206 million), poultry meat & prods. (ex. eggs) ($65 million), wheat ($22 million), dairy products ($15 million), and prepared food ($8 million).
- Haiti was the United States' 77th largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Haiti totaled $991 million in 2018, up 7.8% ($72 million) from 2017, and up 120.3% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: knit apparel ($767 million), woven apparel ($158 million), perfumery, cosmetics ($16 million), miscellaneous textile articles ($11 million), and edible fruit & nuts (mangos) ($8 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Haiti totaled $31 million in 2018. Leading categories include: essential oils ($16 million), other fresh fruit ($8 million), cocoa beans ($3 million), coffee, unroasted ($768 thousand), and processed fruit & vegetables ($352 thousand).
- The U.S. goods trade surplus with Haiti was $399 million in 2018, a 18.6% decrease ($91 million) over 2017.
- U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Haiti (stock) was $34 million in 2017, a 36.0% increase from 2016. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Haiti.
- No data on Haiti's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Haiti FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Haiti are available