You are here
AGOA Status: Madagascar is eligible for AGOA this year.
U.S.-Madagascar Trade Facts
Madagascar is currently our 99th largest goods trading partner with $1.0 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2018. Goods exports totaled $113 million; goods imports totaled $893 million. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Madagascar was $780 million in 2018.
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods to Madagascar supported an estimated 2 hundred jobs in 2015 (latest data available).
- Madagascar was the United States' 149th largest goods export market in 2018.
- U.S. goods exports to Madagascar in 2018 were $113 million, up 111.4% ($59 million) from 2017 and up 59.5% from 2008.
- The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: mineral fuels ($66 million), machinery ($22 million), optical and medical instruments ($3 million), iron and steel products ($3 million), and special other (low value estimates) ($2 million).
- U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Madagascar totaled $5 million in 2018. Leading domestic export categories include: dairy products ($1 million), coarse grains (ex. corn) ($1 million), rice ($516 thousand), vegetable oils (ex. soybean) ($93 thousand), and other feeds & fodders ($6 thousand).
- Madagascar was the United States' 81st largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.
- U.S. goods imports from Madagascar totaled $893 million in 2018, up 20.2% ($150 million) from 2017, and up 175.2% from 2008.
- The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: coffee, tea & spice (vanilla beans) ($522 million), woven apparel ($126 million), knit apparel ($73 million), other base metals (cobalt) ($65 million), and ores, slag, and ash (titanium) ($33 million).
- U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Madagascar totaled $535 million in 2018. Leading categories include: spices ($522 million), essential oils ($6 million), cocoa beans ($2 million), cocoa paste & cocoa butter ($402 thousand), and processed fruit & vegetables ($117 thousand).
- The U.S. goods trade deficit with Madagascar was $780 million in 2018, a 13.1% increase ($91 million) over 2017.
Data on U.S. FDI in Madagascar are unavailable. There is no information on the distribution of U.S. FDI in Madagascar.
No data on Madagascar's FDI in the U.S. are available. There is no information on the distribution of Madagascar FDI in the U.S.
NOTE: No services trade data with Madagascar are available.